Reset and Reboot: Practical Tips for a Fresh Start in Life
by lara heimann, PT
The last four years have shown us what we already know: that life presents challenges that can leave us feeling stuck, overwhelmed, or in need of a reboot.
Whether you’re seeking a major life change or just a refresh, here are some practical tips that have guided me through change and helped me keep clear and compassionate while navigating some big shifts in my personal life.
My hope is that these reminders will help you reset in any way to assist you in a new chapter of your life, whether it’s a new year or a transitional time.
- Reflect on your goals and values: Take a step back and reflect on what truly matters to you. Identify your core values and long-term goals. This self-awareness will guide your decisions and actions during the reset. You can find a core values list in this link so you can identify your most important ones that will be the guiding light in your reset.
- Declutter your physical and mental space: Streamline your environment by decluttering both your physical space and your mind. Get rid of unnecessary possessions, organize your living spaces, and consider adopting mindfulness practices to clear mental clutter. My husband, Mark, and I had to massively organize and clean out our house in Princeton in preparation for a move and it truly was refreshing to pare down the “stuff” and recognize what was not needed.
The process was also a mental clearinghouse. We talk more about it in our podcast!
- Set realistic and achievable goals: Break down your larger goals into smaller, manageable tasks. This not only makes them less overwhelming but also provides a sense of accomplishment as you tick off each milestone. Research also shows that small changes create bigger shifts which lead to enduring habits. Read more about habit formation in BJ Fogg’s “Tiny Habits” and put them into action with our LYT 6-week “Build Your Capacity” program!
- Create a routine that serves YOU: Establishing a daily routine can bring structure and stability to your life. Include activities that contribute to your well-being, such as exercise, meditation, or dedicated time for hobbies. Many LYT daily devotees have reported that their dedicated time to practice is a non-negotiable. This structured routine will give you a foundation that allows for more freedom and clarity in the rest of your day.
- Embrace learning and growth: Challenge yourself to learn new things. Whether it’s acquiring a new skill, pursuing education, or exploring different perspectives, continuous learning fosters personal growth and keeps life interesting. In LYT, we intentionally provide repetition and novelty with our sequences to forge impactful neural connections in the brain. The brain craves novelty so embrace learning and challenge as a key ingredient in rebooting your system!
- Connect with supportive people: Surround yourself with positive and supportive individuals. Share your aspirations and challenges with friends or family who can provide encouragement, advice, or accountability when needed.
- Prioritize self-care: I shout this from the metaphorical rooftops every day! You can only reboot, refresh, and reset by putting your needs first. Take care of your physical and mental health, ensure you get enough sleep, maintain a balanced diet, and engage in activities that bring you joy and relaxation.
- Step outside your comfort zone: Growth often happens beyond comfort zones. Challenge yourself to try new experiences, take calculated risks, and embrace the uncertainty that comes with change. Moving states, selling our house after building a new one, and spending half the year in a rental across the country were decisions that Mark and I made that brought some discomfort because of change and the unknown. The end result is amazing, but I definitely had moments of doubt, sadness, and uncertainty. I forged ahead because I knew that this process would empower me to say yes to more opportunities and challenges with excitement and it has truly has been a powerful reset.
- Forgive and let go: Holding onto past grievances can hinder your ability to move forward. Practice forgiveness, both towards others and yourself. Letting go of resentment can be a powerful catalyst for positive change and a necessary element for resetting overall.
- Celebrate progress, not perfection: Acknowledge and celebrate the progress you make along the way. Remember, the journey of resetting and rebooting is about growth and improvement, not perfection.
By incorporating these practical tips into your life, I hope you can initiate a meaningful reset and create a path toward a more fulfilling and balanced existence. Embrace the opportunity to reboot and shape a future that aligns with your aspirations and values and know that I am pulling for you!